On 09/26/10 07:25 AM, Erik Trimble wrote:
 On 9/25/2010 1:57 AM, Ian Collins wrote:
On 09/25/10 02:54 AM, Erik Trimble wrote:

Honestly, I've said it before, and I'll say it (yet) again: unless you have very stringent power requirement (or some other unusual requirement, like very, very low noise), used (or even new-in-box, previous generation excess inventory) OEM stuff is far superior to any build-it-yourself rig you can come up with. So much so, in fact, that we should really consider the reference recommendation for a ZFS fileserver to be certain configs of brand-name hardware, and NOT try to recommend other things to folks.

Unless you live somewhere with a very small used server market that is!

But, I hear there's this newfangled thingy, called some darned fool thing like "the interanets" or some such, that lets you, you know, *order* things from far away places using one of those funny PeeCee dood-ads, and they like, *deliver* to your door.

Have you ever had to pay international shipping to the other side of the world on a second hand server?! Not all sellers will ship internationally.

I do bring in a lot of system components, but chassis aren't worth the cost.

--
Ian.