>My immediate reaction to this is "time to avoid WD drives for a while";
>until things shake out and we know what's what reliably.
>
>But, um, what do we know about say the Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ($70),
>the SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB ($75), or the HITACHI Deskstar 1TB 3.5"
>($70)?

I've seen several important features when selecting a drive for
a mirror:

        TLER (the ability of the drive to timeout a command)
        sector size (native vs virtual)
        power use (specifically at home)
        performance (mostly for work)
        price

I've heard scary stories about a mismatch of the native sector size and
unaligned Solaris partitions (4K sectors, unaligned cylinder).

I was pretty happen with the WD drives (except for the one with a seriously
broken cache) but I see the reasons to not to pick WD drives over the 1TB
range.

Are people now using 4K native sectors and formating them with 4K sectors
in (Open)Solaris?

Performance sucks when you use unaligned accesses but is performance good
when the performance is aligned?

Casper