One of us found the following:

The presence of snapshots can cause some unexpected behavior when you attempt
to free space. Typically, given appropriate permissions, you can remove a file
from a full file system, and this action results in more space becoming
available in the file system. However, if the file to be removed exists in a
snapshot of the file system, then no space is gained from the file deletion.
The blocks used by the file continue to be referenced from the snapshot.
As a result, the file deletion can consume more disk space, because a new
version of the directory needs to be created to reflect the new state of the
namespace. This behavior means that you can get an unexpected ENOSPC or EDQUOT
when attempting to remove a file.

Since we are using snapshots to a remote system, what will be the impact of
destroying the snapshots? Since the files we moved are some of the oldest, will
we have to start replication to the remote site over again from the beginning?