Hi,
I've been playing around with zfs for a few days now, and now ended up with a
faulted raidz (4 disks) with 3 disks still marked as online.

Lets start with the output of zpool import:

  pool: tank-1
    id: 15108774693087697468
 state: FAULTED
status: One or more devices contains corrupted data.
action: The pool cannot be imported due to damaged devices or data.
        The pool may be active on another system, but can be imported using
        the '-f' flag.
   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-5E
config:

        tank-1                           FAULTED  corrupted data
          raidz1-0                       ONLINE
            disk/by-id/dm-name-tank-1-1  UNAVAIL  corrupted data
            disk/by-id/dm-name-tank-1-2  ONLINE
            disk/by-id/dm-name-tank-1-3  ONLINE
            disk/by-id/dm-name-tank-1-4  ONLINE

After some google searches and reading http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-5E,
it seems to me as if some metadata is lost, and thus the pool cannot be
restored anymore.

I've tried "zpool import -F tank-1" as well as "zpool import -f tank-1", both
resulting in the following message:

        cannot import 'tank-1': I/O error
                Destroy and re-create the pool from
                a backup source.

What I'm wondering about right now are the following things:

Is there some way to recover the data? I thought raidz would require two disks
to lose the data?
And as I think that the data is lost - why did this happen in the first place?
Which situation can cause a faulted raidz that has only one broken drive?

Greetings,
Christian