On 20/10/2010 14:03, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
In a discussion a few weeks back, it was mentioned that the Best Practices
Guide says something like "Don't put more than ___ disks into a single
vdev."  At first, I challenged this idea, because I see no reason why a
21-disk raidz3 would be bad.  It seems like a good thing.

If you have those 21 disks spread across 3 top level vdevs each of raidz3 with 7 disks then ZFS can will stripe across 3 vdevs rather than than 1.

Here is an example from the Sun ZFS Storage Appliance GUI:

Each O is a score out of 5
                                        AVAIL   PERF    CAPACITY
Double parity RAID                      OOOO_   OOO__   OOOO_   1.45T
Mirrored                                OOOO_   OOOOO   O____   808G
Single partiy RAID, narrow stripes      OOO__   OOOO_   OO___   1.18T
Striped                                 _____   OOOOO   OOOOO   1.84T
Triple mirrored                         OOOO_   OOOOO   _____   538G
Triple parity RAID, wide stripes        OOOO_   OO___   OOOOO   1.31T