On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 5:00 PM, Richard Elling
<richard.ell...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Now, is there a way, manually or automatically, to somehow balance the data
>>> across these LVOLs? My first guess is that doing this _automatically_ will
>>> require block pointer rewrite, but then, is there way to hack this thing by
>>> hand?
>>

>> I described a similar issue in
>> http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=134581&tstart=30. My
>> solution was to copy some datasets over to a new directory, delete the
>> old ones and destroy any snapshots that retain them. Data is read from
>> the old device and written on all, causing large chunks of space to be
>> freed on the old device.
>>
>> I wished for a more aggressive write balancer but that may be too much
>> to ask for.
>
> This can, of course, be tuned.  Would you be interested in characterizing the
> benefits and costs of a variety of such tunings?

If you're asking whether I wish to test and document my findings with
such tunables, then yes, I'm interested, though this is a home file
server so it's not exactly laboratory environment. I also think I can
produce enough spare parts to do synthetic tests (maybe in a VM
environment).

I was not aware of such tunables, though it appeared there might be
some emergency mode when a vdev has only a few percent space left.

My server is currently running OI_147 but I haven't yet upgraded the
pool so it's still version 14. I also have 111b and 134 boot
environments standing by.

--
- Tuomas