Yes, if you set up the directory ACLs for inheritance (include :fd:
when you specify the ACEs), the ACLs on copied files will be inherited
from the parent folder (probably best not to use cp -p).

Alan

Alan, thank you for the response.

For my example, I have two users that need to share files, candida and andy.

I've created both users andy and candida,
I've created a finance group
I've added andy and candida to the 'finance' group
I've created /srv/Finance directory
I've set:       chown candida:finance /srv/Finance
I've then done: /bin/chmod g+s /srv/Finance
Then I've done: /bin/chmod A=owner@:full_set:fd:allow,group@:full_set:fd:allow,everyone@:read_set:fd:allow Finance

When I touch files in the Finance folder they don't seem to inherit the group's "Full Set". The user candida can read but not edit files I make as the user andy.

what am I doing wrong? is it a umask thing? my umask is 0022, and I thought ACL's override umask.

Please help my confusion :)

-Andy