Krunal Desai <mov...@gmail.com> writes:

> I believe he meant a memory stress test, i.e. booting with a
> memtest86+ CD and seeing if it passed. Even if the memory is OK, the
> stress from that test may expose defects in the power supply or other
> components.
>
> Your CPU temperature is 56C, which is not out-of-line for most modern
> CPUs (you didn't state what type of CPU it is). Heck, 56C would be
> positively cool for a NetBurst-based Xeon.

I'm guessing it was probably more like 60 to 62 c under load.  The
temperature I posted was after something like 5minutes of being
totally shutdown and the case been open for a long while. (mnths if
not yrs)

That would be a bit hot for this machine which has run cool since I
built it some 6 yrs ago or so.

I agree about the heat not being all that remarkable and said so in my
prior post. Even my old p4s with 3.2hgz run hotter than 56c quite often.

The hardware is athlon64 2.2Ghz +3400  Abit Mobo maxed out at 3gb ram.
With 3 sets of mirrored pools (6 discs in all) and total of 1.7 tb of
disc space.

The machine has consistently shut down 3 times today, after 15-20
minutes up, during a fairly hefty rsync across local discs, and a
homeboy script running checking the amount of data being moved every 5
minutes with du -sh $TARGET.

This follows a problem I had with corrupted data in one pool being
reported over and over.  That part I think I've finally gotten
straightened out by moving the data to a different pool and zfs
`zfs destroy -r' the problem filesystems, followed by a scrub.

Recreated the filesystems and am now putting the data back when I ran
into this repeated shutdown problem.