On 10/28/10 08:40 AM, Richard L. Hamilton wrote:
I have sharesmb=on set for a bunch of filesystems,
including three that weren't mounted.  Nevertheless,
all of those are advertised.  Needless to say,
the one that isn't mounted can't be accessed remotely,
even though since advertised, it looks like it could be.

When you say "advertised" do you mean that it appears in
/etc/dfs/sharetab when the dataset is not mounted and/or
you can see it from a client with 'net view' on a client?

I'm using a recent build and I see the smb share disappear
from both when the dataset is unmounted.

Alan

# zfs list -o name,mountpoint,sharesmb,mounted|awk '$(NF-1)!="off"&&  $(NF-1)!="-"&&
$NF!="yes"'
NAME                       MOUNTPOINT                  SHARESMB  MOUNTED
rpool/ROOT                 legacy                      on             no
rpool/ROOT/snv_129         /                           on             no
rpool/ROOT/snv_93          /tmp/.alt.luupdall.22709    on             no
#

So I think that if a zfs filesystem is not mounted,
sharesmb should be ignored.

This is in snv_97 (SXCE; with a pending LU BE not yet activated,
and an old one no longer active); I don't know if it's still a problem in
current builds that unmounted filesystems are advertised, but if it is,
I can see how it could confuse clients.  So I thought I'd mention it.