On 27 November 2010 08:05, Krunal Desai <mov...@gmail.com> wrote:

> One new thought occurred to me; I know some of the 4K drives emulate 512
> byte sectors, so to the host OS, they appear to be no different than other
> 512b drives. With this additional layer of emulation, I would assume that
> ashift wouldn't be needed, though I have read reports of this affecting
> performance. I think I'll need to confirm what drives do what exactly and
> then decide on an ashift if needed.

If you consider that for a 4KB internal drive, with a 512B external
interface, a request for a 512B write will result in the drive reading 4KB,
modifying it (putting the new 512B in) and then writing the 4KB out again.
This is terrible from a latency perspective. I recall seeing 20 IOPS on a WD
EARS 2TB drive (ie, 50ms latency for random 512B writes).