> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Christopher George
>
> Jump to slide 37 for the write IOPS benchmarks:
>
> http://www.ddrdrive.com/zil_accelerator.pdf

Anybody who designs or works with NAND (flash) at a low level knows it can't
possibly come close to the sustainable speed of ram, except in corner cases
where all the stars are aligned perfectly in favor of the NAND.  Think how
fast your system can fill its system ram, and then think how fast it can
fill an equivalently sized hard drive.  If bus speed was actually the
limiting factor (and it isn't for any SSD that I know) ... You've got NUMA
to system ram, you've got NUMA to PCIe to DDRDrive, and you've got NUM to
PCIe to SATA to the SSD.  Where you can't even fully utilize the SATA bus
because the SSD can't keep up.

The above result isn't the slightest bit surprising to me.  The SSD
manufacturers report maximum statistics that aren't typical or sustainable
under anything resembling typical usage.  I think the SSD's can actually
live up to their claims if (a) they have a read-mostly workload, and either
(b)(1) they have large sequential operations mostly, or (b)(2) they have
random operations which are suitably sized to match the geometry of the NAND
cells internally.