> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Don Jackson
>
> # zfs send -R naspool/open...@xfer-11292010 | zfs receive -Fv
> npool/openbsd
> receiving full stream of naspool/open...@xfer-11292010 into
> npool/open...@xfer-11292010 received 23.5GB stream in 883 seconds
> (27.3MB/sec) cannot receive new filesystem stream: destination has
> snapshots (eg. npool/open...@xfer-11292010) must destroy them to
> overwrite it

Somewhere, in either the ZFS admin guide, or the ZFS troubleshooting guide,
or the ZFS best practices guide, I vaguely recall that there was a bug with
-R prior to some version of zpool, and the solution was to send each
individual filesystem individually.

Prior to solaris 10u9, I simply assume -R is broken, and I always do
individual filesystems.  10u9 is not a magic number, and maybe it was fixed
earlier.  I'm just saying that due to blackmagic and superstition, I never
trusted -R until 10u9.

I notice your mention of openbsd.  I presume you're running an old version
of zfs.

> What am I doing wrong?  What is the proper way to accomplish my goal
> here?

You might not be doing anything wrong.  But I will suggest doing the
filesystems individually anyway.  You might get a different (more
successful) result.

> Once they are received on the new zpool, I really don't need nor want this
> "snapshot" on the receiving side.
> Is it OK to zfs destroy that snapshot?

Yes.  It is safe to destroy snapshots, and you don't lose the filesystem.
When I script this, I just grep for the presence of '@' in the thing which
is scheduled for destruction, and then I know I can't possibly destroy the
latest version of the filesystem.