I'm trying to individually upgrade drives in my raid z configuration, but I
accidentally added my replacement drive to the root rank instead of the raidz1
under it..

Right now things look like this..

        NAME         STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        tank         DEGRADED     0     0     0
          ad4s1d     ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1     DEGRADED     0     0     0
            ad6s1d   ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad8s1d   UNAVAIL      0     0     0  cannot open
            ad10s1d  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad12s1d  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad14s1d  ONLINE       0     0     0
          ad8        ONLINE       0     0     0

As you can tell, what I really wanted to do was replace/add ad8 under raidz1
but now I can't remove ad8 from pool! any ideas on how to fix things? I can't
quite get much information on how to remove a disk.