Hi
I'd certainly look at the sql being run, examine the explain plan and in particular SQL_TRACE, TIMED_STATISTICS, and TKPROF, these will really highlight issues.

see following for autotrace which can generate explain plan etc.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10500_01/server.920/a96533/autotrac.htm

 then the following can really help
SQL>alter session set sql_trace=true;
run sql
SQL>alter session set sql_trace=false ( this si very important as it closes the trace session )
SQL>show parameters show parameters user_dump_dest
.... location of output from sql trace

go to user dump dest
you wills ee somethign like
${ORACLE_SID}_ora_6919.trc
tkprof  ${ORACLE_SID}_ora_6919.trc 6919.trc explain=scott/tiger sys=no

ie explain=schema owner and passwrd, if unsure just run
tkprof  ${ORACLE_SID}_ora_6919.trc 6919.trc

this can provide some very informative info, ie unseen ora errors from user functions and so on.

read the following to get an idea of how to get at the problematic SQL
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14211/sql_1016.htm#i26072

I had an interesting issue the other day, where a tablespace was nearing 100% full on a test DB that isn't properly monitored, and queries stated to run really really slow.

Enda