that

Forgive me for swinging the conversation back to the original question for a
moment.  Is ZFS open source?
        sol11exp has zpool 31
        nexenta has zpool 28
        openindiana has zpool 28
        solaris 10u9 has zpool 22

Since sol11exp has been out for a while now, and it's been several months
since 28 was the current release...  And yet 28 is still the current open
source release ...  It seems that at least the latest versions of ZFS are
closed source.  There's no saying what Oracle will do in the future, but I
don't advise holding your breath while you wait for something higher than
zpool 28.

I imagine a world where Dell and HP and IBM will sponsor openindiana, and
hire developers away from oracle (or just hire developers in general) to
continue the open source branch developments.  Compete against netapp and
oracle seriously.  Certify openindiana on their hardware in earnest.  But
there's one obstacle I don't see any overcoming ... Oracle is the only
company who has already gotten immunity against netapp lawsuit.  So if any
big companies are going to further the open source branches, they will
either have to acquire immunity somehow, or calculate the cost of lawsuit.
They'll also have to watch Oracle's patents with a hawkeye, and ensure not
to tread near, because you know what Oracle will do.