On 12/20/2010 11:36 AM, Alexander Lesle wrote:
Hello All

I read this thread Resilver/scrub times? for a few minutes
and I have recognize that I dont know the different between
Resilvering and Scrubing. Shame on me. :-(

I dont find some declarations in the man-pages and I know the command
to start scrubing "zpool scrub tank"
but what is the command to start resilver and what is the different?

Resilvering is reconstruction of a failed drive (or portion of that drive). It involves walking the metadata tree of the pool, to see if all blocks are stored properly on the correct devices; if not, then a write is issued to the device which is missing the correct block. It does NOT deal with checksums of the individual blocks.

Scrubbing is error-detection. Scrubbing looks for blocks whose metadata checksums do not match the checksum returned by the data held in the block. If the data doesn't match, ONLY then does a new block get written out.

Scrubbing is independent of media failure (that is, it isn't triggered by the failure of block or whole device) - it is performed by a userland action.

Resilvering is dependent on device failure (whether permanent, or temporary) - it is triggered by a system condition.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support