The HBA I use is an LSI MegaRAID 1038E-R but I guess it doesn't really matter
as most OEM manufacturers such as Dell, Intel, HP, IBM use the LSI 1068e/1078e
or the newer 2008e/2018e Megaraid chips which I believe use pretty much the
same firmware.

So I guess I could change these settings in the firmware so that the new WD
drive comes 4th in the list of identified drives. The question is whether zfs
will buy into that. It may still identify it as c9t8d0 or it might think that
the pool is corrupt.

I've had these freezes for a bit over three months by now and it wasn't until I
upgraded to oi_b148 and ran 'iostat -En' I found that one drive had errors. If
the disk only takes longer than usual to respond I shouldn't get media errors
according to iostat, right? Still, zpool returned that everything is ok when
issuing 'zpool status' for that pool.

I will keep in the back of my head that c9t0d0 produced some errors during the
resilvering process. I even saw that zpool did some resilvering on that drive
too at the end of the resilvering process (why is that ?!?). However, when I
did a scrub there were no errors and no new errors have been found by iostat
since the resilvering.

I have not yet encountered any freezes anymore and I have occasionally put it
under some load. But if freezes will start to occur again, I will assume that
c9t0d0 will be the likely culprit and I will not be able to count on that zpool
will report these problems.