On Mon, 3 Jan 2011, Jana Mann wrote:

What I would like to know is what risks do I carry by using partitions, I attempted to search for the rationale behind this advice but I can't seem to find it...

As far as I am aware, there is no additional risk from using partitions except that there are a few drawbacks. Zfs will disable write caching if it sees that a partition is being used and this will lose some performance. Since a partition lives with other partitions on the same disk, if something goes wrong with one of the partitions, then the administrative work to repair is greatly magnified. It is much easier to just be able to slam in a different disk.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn