> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of David Strom
>
> So, has anyone had any experience with piping a zfs send through dd (so
> as to set the output blocksize for the tape drive) to a tape autoloader
> in "autoload" mode?

Yes.  I've had terrible experience doing that.  For whatever reason, dd
performance with zfs send was beyond horrible, although dd with other things
was fine, and zfs send with other things was fine.  I logged a support call
with Sun, we worked on it some, reached a sneaking suspicion that there was
a bug in dd, and they told me "dd is not supported."  I eventually gave up
doing this, but I suspect putting a memory buffer in between the zfs send
and the dd might help.  Would that be "buffer?" or "mbuffer?"  man pages.

Can you connect to the old & new SAN simultaneously?  It would be immensely
preferable (and faster) if you could send directly into the receive on the
other.

Also ... 10TB isn't amazingly huge these days.  Maybe you should consider an
esata card or two, and a few external 2T drive enclosures.  If you're only
using it for a temporary copy of your main pool, you can probably survive
without any redundancy.  It would cost around $600 to $800 but I'll tell you
what, it's going to be a LOT faster than the tape drive.  I think it will
save you a day or two.