On 15 Jan 2011, at 13:44, Achim Wolpers wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have a problem with the charset in the following scenario:
>
> - OSOL Server with zfs pool und NFS/CIFS shares enabled
> - OSX Client with CIFS mounts
> - OSX Client with NFSv3 mounts
>
> If one of the clients saves a file with a special character in the
> filename like 'äüöß', the other client can not access that file. The
> characters a displayed correctly on both clients as well as on the
> server. What is the reason of this incompatibility of CIFS and NFS
> invoked filenames and how can I get around it?

What are the normalization properties of these filesystems? The zfs man page
says they're used when comparing filenames:

---
     normalization = none | formC | formD | formKC | formKD

         Indicates whether the file system should perform a  uni-
         code normalization of file names whenever two file names
         are compared, and which normalization  algorithm  should
         be  used. File names are always stored unmodified, names
         are normalized as part of  any  comparison  process.  If
         this  property  is set to a legal value other than none,
         and the utf8only  property  was  left  unspecified,  the
         utf8only  property  is  automatically  set  to  on.  The
         default value of the  normalization  property  is  none.
         This property cannot be changed after the file system is
         created.
---

Cheers,

Chris