> On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 14:51 -0500, Torrey McMahon
> wrote:
>
> ZFS's ability to handle "short-term" interruptions
> depend heavily on the
> underlying device driver.
>
> If the device driver reports the device as
> "dead/missing/etc" at any
> point, then ZFS is going to require a "zpool replace"
> action before it
> re-accepts the device.  If the underlying driver
> simply stalls, then
> it's more graceful (and no user interaction is
> required).
>
> As far as what the resync does:  ZFS does "smart"
> resilvering, in that
> it compares what the "good" side of the mirror has
> against what the
> "bad" side has, and only copies the differences over
> to sync them up.

Hmm. Well, we're talking fibre, so we're very concerned with the recovery  mode
when the fibre drivers have marked it as "failed". (except it hasnt "really"
failed, we've just had a switch drop out)

I THINK what you are saying, is that we could, in this situation, do:

zpool replace (old drive) (new drive)

and then your "smart" recovery, should do the limited resilvering only. Even
for potentially long outages.

Is that what you are saying?