Richard Elling wrote:
On Jan 21, 2011, at 7:36 PM, Tobias Lauridsen wrote:

it is possible to se my hdd total time it have been in use  so I can switch to
a new one before it gets too many hours old

In theory, yes. In practice, I've never seen a disk properly report this data
on a
consistent basis :-(  Perhaps some of the more modern disks do a better job?

Look for the power on hours (POH) attribute of SMART.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

If you're looking for stats to give an indication of likely wear, and
thus increasing probably of failure, POH is probably not very useful by
itself (or even at all). Things like Head Flying Hours and Load Cycle
Count are probably more indicative, although not necessarily maintained
by all drives.

Of course, data which gives indication of actual (rather than likely)
wear is even more important as an indicator of impending failure, such
as the various error and retry counts.

--
Andrew Gabriel