From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org
[mailto:zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Tomas Ögren
Sent: 26 January 2011 17:01
To: zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org
Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] mix 4k wdd drives whit 512 WD drives ?

On 26 January, 2011 - Benji sent me these 0,8K bytes:

> Those WD20EARS emulate 512 bytes sectors, so yes you can freely mix
> and match them with other "regular" 512 bytes drives. Some have
> reported slower read/write speeds but nothing catastrophic.

For some workloads, 3x slower than it should be.

> Or you can create a new 4K aligned pool (composed of only 4K drives!)
> to really take advantage of them. For that, you will need a modified
> zpool command to sets the ashift value of the pool to 12.

A 4k aligned pool will work perfectly on a 512b aligned disk, it's just
the other way that's bad. I guess ZFS could start defaulting to 4k, but
ideally it should do the right thing depending on content (although
that's hard for disks that are lying).

/Tomas
--
Tomas Ögren, st...@acc.umu.se, http://www.acc.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student at Computing Science, University of Umeå