2011/1/27 Ryan  John <john.r...@bsse.ethz.ch>:
> [...]

You could try Netatalk for access from Macs. The OS X AFP VFS plugin
is far more forgiving then the CIFS one, making AFP still the file
sharing protocol of choice for Macs.
We've implemented a workaround for this chmod() vs ACL problem in
(afair) Netatlk 2.1.5. For easy-to-use ACL support, you could give the
just released 2.2-beta1 a try.

> Was it a result of PSARC/2009/029 ?
> http://arc.opensolaris.org/caselog/PSARC/2010/029/20100126_mark.shellenbaum

Afair, yes.

> If so, I think that was implemented around snv_137.

Yes.

-f