Following up to myself, I think I've got things sorted, mostly.

1. The thing I was most sure of, I was wrong about. Some years back, I must have split the mirrors so that they used different brand disks. I probably did this, maybe even accidentally, when I had to restore from backups at one point. I suppose I could have physically labeled the carriers...no, that's crazy talk!

2. The dd trick doesn't produce reliable activity light activation in my system. I think some of the drives and/or controllers only turn on the activity light for writes.

3. However, in spite of all this, I have replaced the disks in mirror-0 with the bigger disks (via attach-new-resilver-detach-old), and added the third drive I bought as a hot spare. All without having to restore from backups.

4. AND I know which physical drive the detached 400GB drive is. It occurs to me I could make that a second hot spare -- there are 4 remaining 400GB drives in the pool, so it's useful for 2/3 of the failures by drive count.

Leading to a new question -- is ZFS smart about hot spare sizes? Will it skip over too-small drives? Will it, even better, prefer smaller drives to larger so long as they are big enough (thus leaving the big drives for bigger failures)?

--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info