On 2/8/2011 2:17 AM, Tomas Ögren wrote:
On 08 February, 2011 - Robert Soubie sent me these 1,1K bytes:

Le 08/02/2011 07:10, Jerry Kemp a écrit :
As part of a small home project, I have purchased a SIL3124 hba in
hopes of attaching an external drive/drive enclosure via eSATA.

The host in question is an old Sun Netra T1 currently running
OpenSolaris Nevada b130.

The card in question is this Sil3124 card:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16816124003

although I did not purchase it from Newegg. I specifically purchased
this card as I have seen specific reports of it working under
Solaris/OpenSolaris distro's on several Solaris mailing lists.
I use a non-eSata version of this card under Solaris Express 11 for a
boot mirrored ZFS pool. And another one for a Windows 7 machine that
does backups of the server. Bios and drivers are available from the
Silicon Image site, but nothing for Solaris.
The problem itself is sparc vs x86 and firmware for the card. AFAIK,
there is no sata card with drivers for solaris sparc. Use a SAS card.

/Tomas

Thomas is correct. This is a hardware issue, not an OS driver one. In order to use a card with SPARC, its firmware must be OpenBoot-aware. Pretty much all consumer SATA cards only have PC BIOS firmware, as there is no market for sales to SPARC folks.

However, several of the low-end SAS cards ($100 or so) also have available OpenBoot firmware, in addition to PC BIOS firmware. In particular, the LSI1068 series-based HBAs are a good place to look. Note that you *might* have to flash the new OpenBoot firmware onto the card - cards don't come with both PC-BIOS and OpenBoot firmware. Be sure to check the OEM's web site to make sure that the card is explicitly supported for SPARC, not just "Solaris".

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support