On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 03:30:45PM +0100, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 11:31:59AM -0500, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> > What is the status of ZFS support for TRIM?
> [...]
> My initial idea was to implement 100% reliable TRIM, so that I can
> implement secure delete using it, eg. if ZFS is placed on top of disk

Hmmm - IIRC, zfs loadbalances ZIL ops over available devs. Furthermore
I guess, almost everyone, who considers SSDs for ZIL will use at least
2 devs (i.e. since there is "no big" benefit in having a mirror dev,
many people will proably use one SSD/dev, some more "paranoid" people
will choose to have a N-way mirror/dev).

So why not turn the 2nd dev "temp. off" (freeze), do what you want
(trim/reformat/etc) and than turn it on again? I assume of course, that
the "loadbalancer" recognizes, when a dev goes "offline/online" and
automatically uses the available ones, only ...

If one doesn't have at least 2 devs, don't care about this home optimized
setup ;-)

Regards,
jel.
--
Otto-von-Guericke University     http://www.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/
Department of Computer Science   Geb. 29 R 027, Universitaetsplatz 2