On 12.02.2011 18:18, David E. Anderson wrote:
> I see that Pinguy OS, an uber-Ubuntu o/s, includes native ZFS support.
> Any pointers to more info on this?

Thre are currently three different ways, to get ZFS working on linux.

First the implementation by kqstore. They largly used the work from
behlendorf(zfsonlinx.org) and merely added the very thin posixlayer
which belendorf wasnt able/willing to implement yet.

The version by kqstor works so far, although its still very buggy and
sloooooow.

The version by behlendorf works except on its unable to mount
zfs-datasets  though its possble to use zvols.

Then we have a third try (which in fact was the first try to bring zfs
to linux) with zfs-fuse.net.
As the name indicates it makes use of FUSE ("filesystem in userspace" --
http://fuse.sourceforge.net/).

This third one i quite far ahead and the one which is already packaged
for ubuntu.

HTH
  Malte