> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Mark Creamer
>
> 1. Should I create individual iSCSI LUNs and present those to the VMware
> ESXi host as iSCSI storage, and then create virtual disks from there on
each
> Solaris VM?
>
>  - or -
>
> 2. Should I (assuming this is possible), let the Solaris VM mount the
iSCSI
> LUNs directly (that is, NOT show them as VMware storage but let the VM
> connect to the iSCSI across the network.) ?

If you do #1 you'll have a layer of vmware in between your guest machine and
the storage.  This will add a little overhead and possibly reduce
performance slightly.

If you do #2 you won't have access to snapshot features in vmware.
Personally I would recommend using #2 and rely on ZFS snapshots instead of
vmware snapshots.  But maybe you have a good reason for using vmware
snapshots... I don't want to make assumptions.

> Part of the issue is I have no idea if having a hardware RAID 5 or 6 disk
set will
> create a problem if I then create a bunch of virtual disks and then use
ZFS to
> create RAIDZ for the VM to use. Seems like that might be asking for
trouble.

Where is there any hardware raid5 or raid6 in this system?  Whenever
possible, you want to allow ZFS to manage the raid...  configure the
hardware to just pass-thru single disk jbod to the guest...  Because when
ZFS detects disk errors, if ZFS has the redundancy, it can correct them.
But if there are disk problems on the hardware raid, the hardware raid will
never know about it and it will never be correctable except by luck.