Just wondering if an expert can chime in on this one.

I have an older machine running 2009.11 with a zpool at version 14. I have a
new machine running Solaris Express 11 with the zpool at version 31.

I can use zfs send/recv to send a filesystem from the older machine to the new
one without any difficulties. However, as soon as I try to update the remote
copy with an incremental send/recv I get back the error of "cannot receive
incremental stream: invalid backup stream".

I was under the impression that the streams were backwards compatible (ie a
newer version could receive older streams) which appears to be correct for the
initial send/recv operation, but failing on the incremental.

Cheers,

Erik