And make sure you align your NTFS partition regardless off the
underlying storage. Windows 2003 and before DONT do this by default, 7
and 2008 choose a default offset off 1Mb. But better check it in
advance with diskpart. Lastly format  your NTFS filesystem with an
appropriate cluster size. Which needs to be determined on a case by
case basis. Large video file are a different workload than an exchange
server.
I've got a set of thin provisioned vmdk's of varying size and cluster
size. Which I can clone for new machines. This saves me the diskpart
step, which you cannot run when installing windows.