> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Peter Jeremy
>
> I am in the process of upgrading from FreeBSD-8.1 with ZFSv14 to
> FreeBSD-8.2 with ZFSv15 and, following a crash, have run into a
> problem with ZFS claiming a snapshot or clone exists that I can't
> find.

This was a bug that was fixed somewhere between zpool v15 and v22.  If there
is an incremental send in progress, and the system crashes for some reason,
then you have this "invisible" clone laying around somewhere...  It prevents
any further incrementals from succeeding... It hogs disk space ... It's
difficult to find and destroy unless you know what you're looking for.

To find it, run zdb -d, and search for something with a %
Something like:  zdb -d tank | grep %

And then you can zfs destroy the thing.  P.S.  Every time I did this, the
zfs destroy would complete with some sort of error message, but then if you
searched for the thing again, you would see that it actually completed
successfully.

P.S.  If your primary goal is to use ZFS, you would probably be better
switching to nexenta or openindiana or solaris 11 express, because they all
support ZFS much better than freebsd.  If instead, your primary goal is to
do something free-bsd-ish, and it's just coincidence that an old version of
ZFS happens to be the best filesystem available in freebsd, so be it.
Freebsd is good in its own ways...  Even an old version of ZFS is better
than EXT3 or UFS.   ;-)