Thanks for thinking about us, Paul.

A few quick thoughts:

a) Nexenta Core Platform is a bare-bones OS.  No GUI, in other words (no
X11.)  It might well suit you.

b) NCP 3 will not have an upgrade path to NCP 4.  Its simply too much
change in the underlying packaging.

c) NCP 4 is still 5-6 months away.  We're still developing it.

d) NCP 4 will make much more use of the illumos userland, and only use
Debian when illumos doesn't have an equivalent.

e) NCP comes entirely unsupported.  NexentaStor is a commercial product
with real support behind it, though.

f) *Today*, NexentaStor 3 has newer code in it than NCP.  That will be
changing, as we will be keeping the two much more closely in sync
starting with 3.1.

g) If you want to self support, OpenIndiana or NCP are both good
options.  NCP has debian packaging, and lacks a bunch of the GUI
goodies.  NCP 3 is not as new as OI, but is probably a bit more proven.

Hopefully the additional information is helpful to you.

        - Garrett