> Right, put some small (30GB or something trivial) disks in for root
> and
> then make a nice fast multi-spindle pool for your data. If your 320s
> are around the same performance as your 500s, you could stripe and
> mirror them all into a big pool. ZFS will waste the extra 180 on the
> bigger disks but that's fine because your pool will bigger and faster
> anyway.

Actually, it won't. With two 500GB drives, it'll create a 500GB mirror even if
you add that to a pool with 320GB mirrors. That way you will end up with a
somewhat badly balanced pool, so once the 320GB mirrors are filled up, only the
500GB mirrors will be used. You can work around this by using partitions, but
generally it's preferred to use drives same size and not partitions at all
(IIRC ZFS turns off write cache by default when talking to a partition device,
but then, don't shoot me if I'm wrong).

Vennlige hilsener / Best regards

roy
--