On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Paul Kraus <pk1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>    I thought I saw that with zpool 10 (or was it 15) the zfs send
> format had been committed and you *could* send/recv between different
> version of zpool/zfs. From Solaris 10U9 with zpool 22 manpage for zfs:

There is still a problem if the dataset version is too high. I
*believe* that a 'zfs send -R' should send the zfs version, and that
zfs receive will create any new datasets using that version. (I have a
received dataset here that's zfs v 4, whereas everything else in the
pool is v5.) As long as you don't do a zfs upgrade after that point,
you should be fine.

It's probably a good idea to check that the received versions are the
same as the source before doing a destroy though. ;-)

One other thing that I forgot to mention in my last mail too: If
you're receiving into a VM, make sure that the VM can manage
redundancy on its zfs storage, and not just multiple vdsk on the same
host disk / lun. Either give it access to the raw devices, or use
iSCSI, or create your vdsk on different luns and raidz them, etc.

-B

--
Brandon High : bh...@freaks.com