On 04/ 6/11 01:05 PM, Richard Elling wrote:
On Apr 6, 2011, at 12:01 PM, Linder, Doug wrote:

Torrey Minton wrote:

I'm sure someone has a really good reason to keep /var separated but those cases
are fewer and>  far between than I saw 10 years ago.
I agree that the causes and repercussions are less now than they were a long
time ago.  But /var still can and sometimes does fill up, and it is kind of
handy to have quotas and separate filesystem settings and so on.

I guess there's no overall crying reason to use a separate /var, but there's always this
argument: it can't hurt anything.  Especially with ZFS.  In the old days if /var was a
separate partition then you risked making it too big or too small.  But given the
flexibility of ZFS, I think the question is really "is there any reason *not* to put
/var on a separate ZFS filesystem?"
Yes. For backup/restore the unit of management is file system. More file systems
results in more complicated backup/restore that increases RTO and costs. This
was
always the Achille's heel of separate /var.
/var typically contains instance specific and instance shared data. Common examples of data that is shared between boot environments are mail and (if you have an install server), /var/ai. It may also be desirable for non-global zones to share portions of /var. I had posted a proposal to have a shared /var on caiman-discuss a while back. Many users responded and we are evaluating the feedback.

-Sanjay

  -- richard