Arjun,

Yes, you an choose any name for the root pool, but an existing
limitation is that you can't rename the root pool by using the
zpool export/import with new name feature.

Too much internal boot info is tied to the root pool name.

What info are you changing? Instead, could you create a new BE
and update the info in the new BE.

Creating a new BE is the best solution.

Another solution is to create a mirrored root pool and then use the
zpool split option to create an identical root pool (that is then
imported with a new name, like rpool2), but this identical root pool
won't be bootable either. You would then need to mount rpool2's file
systems and copy whatever data you needed.

Thanks,

Cindy