On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 11:58 PM, Richard Elling
<richard.ell...@nexenta.com> wrote:
> Hi ZFSers,
> I've been working on merging the Joyent arcstat enhancements with some of my
> own
> and am now to the point where it is time to broaden the requirements
> gathering. The result
> is to be merged into the illumos tree.
>
> arcstat is a perl script to show the value of ARC kstats as they change over
> time. This is
> similar to the ideas behind mpstat, iostat, vmstat, and friends.
>
> The current usage is:
>
>    Usage: arcstat [-hvx] [-f fields] [-o file] [interval [count]]
>
>    Field definitions are as follows:

[Lots of 'em.]

> Some questions for the community:
> 1. Should there be flag compatibility with vmstat, iostat, mpstat, and
> friends?

Beyond interval and count, I'm not sure there's much in the way of commonality.
Perhaps copy -T for timestamping.

> 2. What is missing?
>
> 3. Is it ok if the man page explains the meanings of each field, even though
> it
> might be many pages long?

Definitely. Unless the meaning of each field is documented elsewhere.

> 4. Is there a common subset of columns that are regularly used that would
> justify
> a shortcut option? Or do we even need shortcuts? (eg -x)

If I was a user of such a tool, I wouldn't know where to start. Which
fields ought
I to be looking at? There are a whole bunch of them. What I would expect is a
handful of standard reports (maybe one showing the sizes, one showing the ARC
efficiency, another one for L2ARC).

> 5. Who wants to help with this little project?

I'm definitely interested in emulating arcstat in jkstat. OK, I have
an old version,
but it's pretty much out of date and I need to refresh it.

--
-Peter Tribble