Have a failed drive on a ZFS pool (three RAIDZ2 vdevs, one hot spare).
The hot spare kicked in and all is well.

Is it possible to just make that hot spare disk -- already silvered
into the pool -- as a permanent part of the pool?  We could then throw
in a new disk and mark it as a spare and avoid what would seem to be an
unnecessary resilver (twice, once when the spare is brought in and
again when we replace the failed disk).

This document[1] seems to make it sound like it can be done, but I'm
not really seeing how...

Can I "add" the spare disk to the pool when it's already in use?
Probably not...

Note this is on Solaris 10 U9.

Thanks,
Ray