> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Edward Ned Harvey
>
> If you have to use the 4k recordsize, it is likely to consume 32x more
> memory than the default 128k recordsize of ZFS.  At this rate, it becomes
> increasingly difficult to get a justification to enable the dedup.  But
it's
> certainly possible.

Sorry, I didn't realize ... RE just said (and I take his word for it) that
the default recordsize for a zvol is 8k.  While of course the default
recordsize for a ZFS filesystem is 128k.

Emphasis is that memory requirement is a constant multiplied by number of
blocks, so smaller blocks ==> higher number of blocks ==> more memory
consumption.

This could be a major difference in implementation ... If you are going to
use ZFS over NFS as your VM storage backend that would default to 128k
recordsize, while if you're going to use ZFS over ISCSI as your VM storage
backend that would default to 8k recordsize.

In either case, you really want to be aware of, and tune your recordsize
appropriately for the guest(s) that you are running.