On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Anatoly <legko...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Good day,
>
> I think ZFS can take advantage of using GPU for sha256 calculation,
> encryption and maybe compression. Modern video card, like 5xxx or 6xxx ATI
> HD Series can do calculation of sha256 50-100 times faster than modern 4
> cores CPU.
Ignoring optimizations from SIMD extensions like SSE and friends, this
is probably true. However, the GPU also has to deal with the overhead
of data transfer to itself before it can even begin crunching data.
Granted, a Gen. 2 x16 link is quite speedy, but is CPU performance
really that poor where a GPU can still out-perform it? My undergrad
thesis dealt with computational acceleration utilizing CUDA, and the
datasets had to scale quite a ways before there was a noticeable
advantage in using a Tesla or similar over a bog-standard i7-920.

> The only problem that there is no AMD/Nvidia drivers for Solaris that
> support hardware-assisted OpenCL.
This, and keep in mind that most of the professional users here will
likely be using professional hardware, where a simple 8MB Rage XL gets
the job done thanks to the magic of out-of-band management cards and
other such facilities. Even as a home user, I have not placed a
high-end videocard into my machine, I use a $5 ATI PCI videocard that
saw about a hour of use whilst I installed Solaris 11.

--
--khd