On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Brandon High <bh...@freaks.com> wrote:

> The 1TB and 2TB are manufactured in China, and have a very high
> failure and DOA rate according to Newegg.

        All drives have a very high DOA rate according to Newegg. The
way they package drives for shipping is exactly how Seagate
specifically says NOT to pack them here
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=what-to-pack&vgnextoid=5c3a8bc90bf03210VgnVCM1000001a48090aRCRD

        I have stopped buying drives (and everything else) from Newegg
as they cannot be bothered to properly pack items. It is worth the
extra $5 per drive to buy them from CDW (who uses factory approved
packaging). Note that I made this change 5 or so years ago and Newegg
may have changed their packaging since then.

     What Newegg was doing is buying drives in the 20-pack from the
manufacturer and packing them individually WRAPPED IN BUBBLE WRAP and
then stuffed in a box. No clamshell. I realized *something* was up
when _every_ drive I looked at had a much higher report of DOA (or
early failure) at the Newegg reviews than made any sense (and compared
to other site's reviews).

     This is NOT to say that the drives in question really don't have
a QC issue, just that the reports via Newegg are biased by Newegg's
packing / shipping practices.

--
Paul Kraus