On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Freddie Cash <fjwc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would not import in Solaris 11 Express.  :(  Could not even find any
> pools to import.  Even when using "zpool import -d /dev/dsk" or any
> other import commands.  Most likely due to using a FreeBSD-specific
> method of labelling the disks.

I think someone solved this before by creating a directory and making
symlinks to the correct partition/slices on each disk. Then you can
use 'zpool import -d /tmp/foo' to do the import. eg:

# mkdir /tmp/fbsd # create a temp directory to point to the p0
partitions of the relevant disks
# ln -s /dev/dsk/c8t1d0p0 /tmp/fbsd/
# ln -s /dev/dsk/c8t2d0p0 /tmp/fbsd/
# ln -s /dev/dsk/c8t3d0p0 /tmp/fbsd/
# ln -s /dev/dsk/c8t4d0p0 /tmp/fbsd/
# zpool import -d /tmp/fbsd/ $POOLNAME

I've never used FreeBSD so I can't offer any advice about which device
name is correct or if this will work. Posts from February 2010 "Import
zpool from FreeBSD in OpenSolaris" indicate that you want p0.

> It's just frustrating that it's still possible to corrupt a pool in
> such a way that "nuke and pave" is the only solution.  Especially when

I'm not sure it was the only solution, it's just the one you followed.

> What's most frustrating is that this is the third time I've built this
> pool due to corruption like this, within three months.  :(

You may have an underlying hardware problem, or there could be a bug
in the FreeBSD implementation that you're tripping over.

-B

--
Brandon High : bh...@freaks.com