I find it more stable than OpenSolaris 148, or Solaris 11 Express, and that's
on a 96 GB Dell T710 with dual Xeon 5760's and currently 28 TB spread over 46
disks.  I have two other fairly big FreeBSD SAN's running as well. I'm past the
"home server" category for sure.  I'm running around 50 VM's off FreeBSD
9-CURRENT SAN's via NFS on a daily basis, with very minimal problems.

I've blogged about this to some degree:
http://christopher-technicalmusings.blogspot.com/2011/01/testing-freebsd-zfs-v28.html

I'd also like to add;

 - You need to be on the "-CURRENT" build of FreeBSD 9 to get ZFS v28 - And
that's the development branch. I've been doing it for almost 6 months, but it
can be tricky until you find the right version for your needs.
 - It's slower, but I think we'll get that figured soon. If you run the Stable
branch (Say 8.2) you are ZFS v15, but you can turn off the ZIL if you want
speed at the expense of stability in crashes.
 - There's no auto-replacement for failed drives. People use scripts to detect
and action this now (no Fault Management Daemon)

I ended up switching back to FreeBSD after using Solaris for some time because
I was getting tired of weird pool corruptions and the like.  Of course, this
doesn't make FreeBSD better than Solaris, but with my hardware, and in my
situation, FreeBSD is far more stable for me than the Solaris builds. I'm
positive this can be argued in the opposite point as well.

FreeBSD is a bit friendlier to get into, and supports a wider bunch of
"consumer" type hardware than Solaris does.  Since it's just a home server, go
get yourself 8.2 release, run a v15 ZFS pool, and you'll be happy. Just make
sure you run the AMD64, and try to give it 4GB.