> From: zfs-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:zfs-discuss-
> boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Eugen Leitl
>
> This would enable applications—without needing any further
> in-filesystem code—to perform a Merkle Tree sync, which would range
> from "noticeably more efficient" to "dramatically more efficient" than
> rsync or zfs send. :-)

Don't compare rsync to zfs send.   Rsync must work at the filesystem level, and
examine every file on both the source and destination machines.  Incremental
zfs send is instantly and automatically aware at the block level, which blocks
in the pool have changed between the old and new snapshots.  Zfs send is
"dramatically more efficient" than rsync or anything else that needs to walk
the filesystem tree.  Because zfs send doesn't walk the tree.  It already knows
what blocks changed.  And I think that's what you're getting at, yeah?

Unless you're wishing you could use something as efficient as incremental zfs
send, that applies to a whole class of filesystems not just zfs...   Or if
you're wishing you could do something as efficiently as incremental zfs send
without the need for a matching older snapshot...  Or you're wishing you could
do an operation like incremental zfs send, which is only applied to a
subdirectory, not a whole filesystem....