On Tue, May 31 at  8:52, Paul Kraus wrote:
   When we initially configured a large (20TB) files server about 5
years ago, we went with multiple zpools and multiple datasets (zfs) in
each zpool. Currently we have 17 zpools and about 280 datasets.
Nowhere near the 10,000+ you intend. We are moving _away_ from the
many dataset model to one zpool and one dataset. We are doing this for
the following reasons:

1. manageability
2. space management (we have wasted space in some pools while others
are starved)
3. tool speed

   I do not have good numbers for time to do some of these operations
as we are down to under 200 datasets (1/3 of the way through the
migration to the new layout). I do have log entries that point to
about a minute to complete a `zfs list` operation.

It would be interesting to see if you still had issues (#3) with 1 pool and
your 280 datasets.  It would definitely eliminate #2.

--
Eric D. Mudama
edmud...@bounceswoosh.org