I will only say, that regardless of whether or not that is or ever was true,
I believe it's entirely irrelevant.  Because your system performs read and
write caching and buffering in ram, the tiny little ram on the disk can't
possibly contribute anything.

When it comes to reads:  The OS does readahead more intelligently than the
disk could ever hope.  Hardware readahead is useless.

When it comes to writes:  Categorize as either async or sync.

When it comes to async writes:  The OS will buffer and optimize, and the
applications have long since marched onward before the disk even sees the
data.  It's irrelevant how much time has elapsed before the disk finally
commits to platter.

When it comes to sync writes:  The write will not be completed, and the
application will block, until all the buffers have been flushed.  Both ram
and disk buffer.  So neither the ram nor disk buffer is able to help you.

It's like selling usb fobs labeled USB2 or USB3.  If you look up or measure
the actual performance of any one of these devices, they can't come anywhere
near the bus speed...  In fact, I recently paid $45 for a USB3 16G fob,
which is finally able to achieve 380 Mbit.  Oh, thank goodness I'm no longer
constrained by that slow 480 Mbit bus...   ;-)   Even so, my new fob is
painfully slow compared to a normal cheap-o usb2 hard disk.  They just put
these labels on there because it's a marketing requirement.  Something that
formerly mattered one day, but people still use as a purchasing decider.