> > On 7/07/2011 3:12 PM, X4 User wrote:
> >> I am bumping this thread because I too have the
> same question ... can I put modern 3TB disks (hitachi
> deskstars) into an old x4500 ?
>
> X4500 uses the LSI 1068e. AFAIK, that HBA does not
> support disks > 2TB for all possible firmware revs.
> YMMV, based on the firmware installed.

On our X4500 from 2006, we loaded it with 46 of the 3-TB Hitachi DeskStar
7K3000 series drives without any problems so far.  We set it up with 5 raidz2
vdevs (each vdev has 9 drives) and 1 spare for about 94 TB of storage (using
about 25 TB so far.)  No errors in 3 months.  Monthly zpool scrub.

> As for enterprise vs consumer class drives, Sun was
> not in the consumer business and, to my
> knowledge, did not bother qualifying consumer-grade
> disks.

Our X4500 server from 2006 came from Sun loaded with
Hitachi Deskstar drives (500G). They had a Sun sticker and S/N on them, but
they also
said "Deskstar" and had HDS7250 printed on them.  As far as I could tell, these
were
not "enterprise" grade drives.

-Doug