Hi Folks,

Situation :- x86 based solaris 11 express server with 2 pools (rpool / data)
got fried. I need to recover the raidz pool "data" which consists of 5 x 1tb
sata drives. Have individually checked disks with seagate diag tool, they are
all physically ok.

Issue :- new sandybridge based x86 machine purchased, attempted to rebuild with
solaris 11 express but the onboard sata controllers can not be recognised by
the o/s.... no disks found. Assumption - sol11exp does not have drivers yet for
the sata controllers on the new motherboard.

Solution needed that allows me to build a functional NAS on the new hardware
which will allow me to reconstitute and read the raidz zpool "data".

Any thoughts?

My latest thoughts are
1) to try freebsd as an alternative o/s hoping it has more recently updated
drivers to support the sata controllers. According to the zfs wiki, freebsd 8.2
supports zpool version 28. I have a concern that when i updated the old (fried)
server to sol11exp it upgraded the zpool version to 31 and so freebsd8.2 still
may not be able to read the zpool on the raidz1

2) install windoze to get full hardware support (the drivers that came with the
motherboard are windows only) and run sol11exp in a virtualbox environment
which has full access to the raidz disks. Not sure if this is possible, but
maybe worth a try.

Any help / suggestions to recover my data would be appreciated.

Regards Rep