> Yes, which is exactly what I said.
>
> All data as seen by the DMU is decrypted and decompressed, the DMU
> layer
> is what the ZPL layer is built ontop of so it has to be that way.

Understand. Thank you. ;-)

> There is always some overhead for doing a decryption and decompression,
> the question is really can you detect it and if you can does it mater.
> If you are running Solaris on processors with built in support for AES
> (eg SPARC T2, T3 or Intel with AES-NI) the overhead is reduced
> significantly in many cases.
>
> For many people getting the stuff from disk takes more time than doing
> the transform to get back your plaintext.
>
> In some of the testing I did I found that gzip decompression can be
> more
> significant to a workload than doing the AES decryption.
>
> So basically yes of course but does it actually mater ?

It is up to how big the delta is. It does matter if the data backup can not
be finished within the required backup window when people use zfs  send/receive
to do the mass data backup.
BTW adding a sort of off-topic question -- will NDMP protocol in Solaris will
do
decompression and decryption? Thanks.

> > And ZFS send/receive tunneled by ssh becomes the only way to encrypt
> the data transmission?
>
> That isn't the only way.
>

> --

Any alternatives, if you don't mind? ;-)

Thanks.

Fred